What a strange year this has been. Despite a personally promising start, I know I’m not the only who will be happy to see the other side of this long and tedious year. One thing that helped get me through this year were the books I was able to read, the authors I was able to connect with, and the stories I was able to recommend to friends.
When I sat down to put together this post, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to remember–or even choose–my ten favorite reads of the year. But as I began looking back on all of the books I read and listened to, I realized most of the choices were obvious.
This year I’m giving you a top eleven and some honorable mentions because it was impossible to narrow it down more.
You can also shop this list on Bookshop or Amazon.
- Harley in the Sky by Akemi Dawn Bowman
- The Voting Booth by Brandy Colbert
- Race the Sands by Sarah Beth Durst
- Now That I’ve Found You by Kristina Forest
- You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson
- Tweet Cute by Emma Lord
- Tigers, Not Daughters by Samantha Mabry
- The Left-Handed Booksellers of London by Garth Nix
- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab
- Recommended For You by Laura Silverman
- Fable by Adrienne Young
Honorable Mention: The Backlist
The books I read and loved this year that were published before 2020.
- Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey
- An Unkindness of Magicians by Kat Howard
- Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip
- Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- If We Were Villains by M. L. Rio
Honorable Mention: The Sequels
The sequels I read and loved this year in two of my favorite series. (Start with book one to avoid spoilers.)
- The Silvered Serpents by Roshani Chokshi
- Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner