After experimenting with Owlcrate for a few months last year, I decided to give Uppercase a shot this year when I wanted to check out a new bookish subscription box.
Uppercase is a monthly book subscription box.
You have two options when subscribing: You can purchase the Book Exclusive Plan for $17/month which includes a new hardcover YA novel (signed or with a bookplate), a reading experience content (this includes a bookmark with links to special content to check out while you read the book), and a handwritten note about the contents of the box. The Expert Plan is $23/month and includes all of the Book Exclusive items plus one or two bookish items which can be anything from notebooks to wearables. Both plans adds $6.50 for shipping.
What I really like about Uppercase is you have options for buying as well. You can subscribe monthly with the typical automatic renewals (and option to cancel) OR you can pre-pay for a certain amount of boxes from 1 to 12 months. I decided to pre-pay for three months and got my second package in July.
I already shared about the box on Instagram but I decided I could do a full review on here too.
Here’s what I found in my July 2017 Uppercase which comes in the signature Uppercase pouch (and is mailed in a Priority Mail padded envelope):
- Words on Bathroom Walls by Julia Walton: Unlike the June package, July’s box had a book I’ve never heard of. That almost never happens to me! I probably wouldn’t have picked this one up on my own because it sounds sad but I’m game to see what it has in store and excited for the reading experience content.
- Experience Bookmark: This is a special feature unique to Uppercase. The bookmark features page numbers and codes readers can enter online to unlock special content.
- Sticker: The oversized cat sticker says “I love books.” It’s very cute but I have to admit I’m super not a cat person so this will probably be finding another home.
- Socks: I always need new socks and I’m pretty happy with these Alice in Wonderland ones. They are a nice quality and look large enough to fit my big feet.
- Postcard: It’s silly, but the postcard for Words in Deep Blue is one of my favorite things in this box. Cath Crowley is a long time favorite and I really enjoyed this book. I’m thrilled to have quote art from it.
- Print: This print is an exclusive item with embossed artwork and fun lettering for Stephen King’s famous quote. I don’t have a lot of wall space right now but I might eventually get this and the postcard framed because I like them so much.
All in all I’m pretty happy with this book. The novelty of finding a completely new to me book was pretty great and I’m happy with the items. I really appreciate the option to pre-pay and may even order more boxes in the future. I like that it includes some extras without being overwhelming and I think it’s great that the books are signed. This is definitely a subscription box to consider for yourself or your bookish friends. Keep watching the blog for my review of my final Uppercase Box when it arrives in August!