I was tagged by Rachel for The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag and I’m borrowing her lovely graphic for it too. (You can also check out her post.)
1. A popular book you didn’t like
I could pick a few here–even limiting myself to books I’ve read in 2015. But the first one that comes to mind is All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven about which my complaints are numerous and immense as you can see in my review.
2. A book series that everyone hates but you love
I wouldn’t say people hate it, but I know a lot of people feel indifferent about Gabrielle Zevin’s Birthright series which is one of my favorite trilogies of all time.
3. A love triangle where the MC ends up with the person you didn’t want them to end up with
SPOILERS here obviously. The big ones here include Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare and The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa.
4. A popular book genre you rarely reach for
I don’t read romance novels. Books with romance are okay but I just can’t do pure romances. I also avoid horror books at all costs.
5. A popular beloved character you didn’t like
Celaena and every other character in the Throne of Glass series. I tried multiple times and I just don’t like anything about it. (Talk about an unpopular opinion.)
6. A popular author you can’t seem to get into
Ruta Sepetys. I want to like her books because they are well-researched and thoughtful historical fiction about interesting periods in time that are also often little known. But the writing just never draws me in!
7. Popular trope you’re tired of seeing
I am decidedly tired of books with an overweight protagonist needing some kind of contrast or wake up call to be healthy in the form of a dead relative. It’s the worst. Also all books with grandparents in the book do not have to have those characters die. Just saying!
8. Popular series you have no interest in reading
Leigh Bardugo’s Grisha trilogy. I read and enjoyed Six of Crows but just feel no need to read the Grisha titles.
9. The saying goes, ‘The book is always better than the movie’ but what movie do you prefer more than the book?
Eragon! I read the book and enjoyed it at the time. But I saw the movie first and it was just a lot more fun. Plus Jeremy Irons!