For the purposes of this challenge I’m going to go ahead and lump fantasy and sci-fi together since I barely read sci-fi anyway.
Last year I read about 55 fantasy titles. Under that umbrella I’m also including some sci-fi, alternate history and steampunk titles so really “speculative” fiction might be a better title but whatever. Of those I think maybe ten were what would be called pure sci-fi.
Given the number of non-fantasy books I had to read for committee work, I’m actually pleased with the number.
I’m challenging myself to read 50 fantasy titles this year.
I’ll be tracking books I read by genre in my monthly reading trackers.
January Books Read:
- Jackaby by William Ritter
- Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
- Soulprint by Megan Miranda
February Books Read:
- Winterspell by Claire Legrand
- Compulsion by Martina Boone
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab
March Books Read:
- The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
- Loop by Karen Akins
- The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker
- Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein
- The Weight of Stars by Tessa Gratton
- Hold Me Like a Breath by Tiffany Schmidt
April Books Read:
- Dove Arising by Karen Bao
- Ice by Sarah Beth Durst
- Split Second by Kasie West
- Birthmarked by Caragh M. O’Brien
- Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan
- The Program by Suzanne Young
- The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
May Books Read:
- The Shadow Behind the Stars by Rebecca Hahn
- Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson
- Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
- Straw Into Gold by Gary D. Schmidt
June Books Read:
- Rebel Mechanics by Shanna Swendson
- Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley
- The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow
- The Heir by Kiera Cass
- The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
I’ve been feeling really, really stressed by all of the reading challenges I signed up for on top of my Goodreads one. After much deliberation, I decided the stress isn’t worth it so I’m withdrawing from everything but my Goodreads challenge which I will meet regardless. I know I will read fantasy books anyway, I know I will read more the 365 days of YA anyway, and I hope I might finish some series but the actual tracking is just overwhelming right now.