Happy new year! Be sure to check out what I read in December while you’re here.
Books On Deck:
- Winterspell by Claire Legrand
- I am Princess X by Cherie Priest (prof review)
- Jackaby by William Ritter (Want to Read)
- Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton (want/from publisher preview)
- The Family Romanov by Candace Fleming (reading for my place of employ’s Mock Printz)
- Gabi, a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero (reading for my place of employ’s Mock Printz)
- Life by Committee by Corey Ann Haydu(put up or shut up)
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (requested from publisher for review)
- Undercover by Beth Kephart (put up or shut up)
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (Amazon Vine)
- Soulprint by Megan Miranda (requested from publisher for review)
- Emma by Jane Austen (threads edition–birthday gift to myself)
- The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black (signing)
- Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay (Book Outlet)
- Romeo Redeemed by Stacey Jay (Book Outlet)
- The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan (Book Outlet)
- Who Needs Magic by Kathy McCullough (gifted from Nicole for my birthday)
- Impossible by Nancy Werlin (gifted from Nicole for my birthday)
- I Remember You (amazon vine)
- Hold Me Like a Breath by Tiffany Schmidt (Bloomsbury review request from last month)
- Rebel Mechanics (Macmillan Review request from last month)
- Becoming Jinn (Macmillan review review from last month
January 1: I am going to try to be a bit more conscientious in my reading choices this month and see if I can actually stick to them. I’m only listing 5 to start and we’ll see what happens next. I want the rest of my reading for the month to come (ideally) off my shelves at home because they really have to be cleaned out but we’ll have to see where whim strikes.
Also in efforts to stick to my “Put Up or Shut Up” challenge I’m also trying to reserve some books that have been languishing on my to read shelve for more than five years (what often happens here is that the books go out of print before I ever read them so my logic is that if I can’t get it from the library then I likely never will).
January 2: I am updating this to reflect some other things too. I want to track what I am reading for different categories and if I buy any books. I’m generally pretty good about not over-buying so I’m not expecting any surprises here. I requested Red Queen from Amazon vine because I want to read it soon. (I might also do the same for Seeker.) I would like to read a Put Up or Shut Up book this month but I’m not sure which one I feel like reading. I also want to check my shelves at home and check which ones I actually have. I put one on hold at my place of employ but it’s not here yet.
January 4: Jackaby was good but not great. Which is fine. I have Lockwood & Co. to be great. It was definitely enjoyablea nd a must for mystery fans. Finished Seeker. Still not sure what it was about–if you have read and would like to tell me you know where to find me.
January 5: Reading The Family Romanov which I am finding unaccountably depressing because I know how it all ends (death!) and also Life by Committee because I’d been waffling hardcore on if I wanted to read it at all. 50 pages in and I’m liking it a lot more than I did so thank you Jamie for championing it!
January 6: I don’t really want to buy new books for the foreseeable future so I’m going to try tracking that as well here.
January 9: Done with Life by Committee. Started Gabi, A Girl in Pieces.
January 10: Finished Gabi. I should be reading something else but Andi is such an effective book pusher that I am reading ACOTAR instead.
January 18: Finished ACOTAR. I don’t want to talk about it. Ever. Again. Started Undercover by Beth Kephart.
January 20: Finished Undercover. Loved it. Wish I’d read it sooner but not sure I would have appreciated it as much if I had. Also finished The Family Romanov. I can see the appeal but it didn’t click for me on a fundamental level for reasons I can’t explain. Next up: Red Queen.
January 26: Finished Red Queen. Did not love the last quarter. Starting Soulprint.
January 30: Soulprint is done. Starting Winterspell.