Since I reviewed a princess-y book this week for Chick Lit Wednesday it seemed like high time to share the Disney Princess links I’ve been hoarding.
This installment of Linktastic! is brought to you by my undying love of Disney (yes even with the weird stuff they do sometimes) and my conviction that Phillip is the best Disney Prince ever. (I can’t give a definitive princess answer because while Belle has my heart, I apparently spent my toddler-hood watching Sleeping Beauty Every. Single. Day. So I’m obviously fond of Aurora as well.
Onto the links!
- How old are the Disney Princesses? Thanks to Buzzfeed we have the answer to that question: http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/how-old-are-the-disney-princesses While the breakdown for the princes (in that there isn’t one) is kind of terrifying it’s also an interesting commentary one what needs to be done better in future stories. (Also yay my favorite princesses aren’t creepily young to be getting married!)
- If you want to test your knowledge of Disney Princesses, Buzzfeed also has this quiz: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/how-well-do-you-really-know-the-disney-princesses I got 10/15
- Now for a controversial one: The Disney Prince Hotness ranking. http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/the-disney-prince-hotness-ranking As I said earlier, Prince Phillip is superior. Nothing will ever convince me otherwise. He has his own storyline, he has a name, he has a horse and fights a dragon to get to his princess. I can’t believe Buzzfeed only placed him at the seventh spot.
Then thanks to Leila at Bookshelves of Doom I have some sad posts about everyone’s favorite archer: Merida from Brave. Merida is being inducted as Disney’s 11th princess. Which is awesome. Less awesome is her makeover for the induction ceremony where Merida has become curvier, lost her bow and arrows, and gotten a lot of makeup.
- The LA Times as a rundown of the initial news (and a poll that pretty much universally says Disney blew it): http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-disney-merida-makeover-brave-20130515,0,5062947.story
- Then, after a petition was started, Disney pulled the makeover for a while according to Jezebel: http://jezebel.com/disney-pulls-sexy-merida-makeover-after-public-backlash-494274022
- But then it turned out the makeover was staying according to The Mary Sue: http://www.themarysue.com/disney-merida-redesign/
- Mashable has a cute comic about Merida getting her revenge for the makeover: http://mashable.com/2013/05/15/disney-princess-merida/
- I have mixed feelings about it. I like Disney and the princesses, I do. But the makeovers are kind of annoying because the original art is already beautiful (for all of the characters). I think the updated Merida is still cute and fun. But I don’t understand the need for new merchandise art when we already have the movie. And why on earth would you take away the weapons that define a character? Come on!
Lest you lose all faith in humanity here are some Disney links that are just for fun:
- Jezebel has an essay on why Disney Villains are the real role models: http://jezebel.com/screw-princesses-disney-villains-are-the-real-role-m-476307885 (And it has a picture of probably my favorite villain, Maleficent. My mom’s favorite is Ursula, you know, if you were wondering.)
- And here are some sloths dressed up as Disney Princesses courtesy of io9.com: http://io9.com/cuddle-up-with-these-sloths-dressed-as-disney-princesse-476560641